Konnichi wa / Great Outdoors
The Comprehensive Guide to Converting Quarts to Gallons
Understanding how to measure and convert different units of measurement is an essential in the kitchen.
While it’s common to know the basics of how many quarts in a gallon, navigating other units of measurement can be daunting.
Fortunately, this guide will provide with an ample amount of knowledge related to measuring, calculating and converting between quarts and gallons for ice cream or anything else.
Watch this video on how many quarts in a gallon!
What is a Quart?
A quart is a volume unit that is used to measure both liquids and dry ingredients.
It can be used in both the Imperial and the United States (US) customary systems. A US dry quart is equal to 0.855 liters (dry or wet).
A US liquid quart for wet ingredients is equal to 0.946 liters or 4 cups.
For the Imperial System, the Imperial quart or the United Kingdom / UK quart is equal to 1.14 liters or 4.545 Imperial cups.
What is a Gallon?
A gallon is a unit of volume generally used to measure liquid volume or liquid capacity and is abbreviated as “gal”.
A dry gallon is equal to 2.03 cubic inches. A liquid gallon is equal to 231 cubic inches or 3.785 liters.
A US liquid gallon is equal to 4 quarts, 16 cups and 8 pints, and a UK gallon is equal to 8 quarts, 32 pints and 16 gallons (which may also be called an Imperial gallon).
How Many Quarts are in a Gallon?
A US liquid gallon is equal to 4 quarts, 16 cups and 8 pints.
A UK gallon is equal to 8 quarts, 32 pints and 16 gallons (which may also be called an imperial gallon).
In other words, there are 4 quarts in a gallon.
This makes it easy to remember the conversion factor — 4 quarts in a gallon.
To calculate other conversions from this figure use our simple formula:
Gallons = Given volume in quarts x 0.25 or Quarts = Given volume in gallons / 0.25.
Simple Conversion Chart Unit Equivalents
1 gallon = 4 quarts, half gallon = 2 quarts, 1 quart = quarter gallons, 8 quarts = 2 gallons
Common Kitchen Conversion Factors
When discussing kitchen conversion factors, it’s essential to become familiar with the US liquid quart, US dry quart, Imperial quart, Winchester quart and the reputed quart.
Each holds a unique conversion factor which we will break down in the below cheat sheet or kitchen conversion chart / conversion table.
US Liquid Quart = 4 cups, 2 pints, 0.946 liters, 57.75 cubic inches, 33.307 imperial fluid ounces
US Dry Quart = 1/8 peck, 2 dry pints, 0.855 liters, 67.200625 cubic inches, 38.758 imperial fluid ounces
Imperial Quart = 1/4 imperial gallon, 1.136 liters, 69.355 cubic inches, 38.430 US fluid ounces
Winchester Quart = 2.25 Liters, or slightly more than two imperial quarts
Reputed Quart = 2/3 imperial quart, 0.75 liters
Conversion Tools and Calculators
Fortunately, there are a range of online tools and calculators, as well as printable charts, for making conversions between quarts and gallons quickly and accurately. Online conversion tools are automatically updated and do the calculations for you.
Liquid Measuring Cups
When measuring liquid ingredients, it's important to use a liquid measuring cup. Liquid measuring cups are marked with a volume measurement to show the amount of liquid inside. Since a US liquid quart is equal to four cups, a quart-sized measuring cup will hold four cups of liquid.
Dry Measuring Cups
When measuring dry ingredients, use a dry measuring cup. Dry measuring cups are marked with a volume measurement to show the amount of dry ingredients inside. Since one US dry quart is equal to eight cups, a quart-sized measuring cup will hold eight cups of dry ingredients.
Accurately measuring and converting different units of volume is an important skill to have in the kitchen.
With this guide, you now have the knowledge and tools needed to convert quarts and gallons quickly and accurately.
Grab our printable Liquid Measurement Conversion Chart to have conversions at your fingertips, and you’ll be an expert at conversions in no time!
Looking for more on How Many Quarts in a Gallon and other topics? Try these:
- Gallons of Knowledge: How Many Ounces Are in a Gallon?
- The Search is Over: Finding San Antonio's Best Burger
- Where to Find the Best Sushi in Dallas
- Sizzling Steaks in Nashville: Finding the Best Steakhouse in Music City
- A Slice Above the Rest: Finding the Best Pizza in Atlanta
- The Best Sushi in Atlanta: The Ultimate Guide to Finding the Perfect Roll
- The Best Sunrise in San Antonio: Where to Find the Best Breakfast
- San Diego's Finest: Finding the Best Pizza in Town
- Taste the Best Little Rock Has to Offer: Discover the Top Restaurants in Little Rock
- Delicious Delicacies: The Best Italian Restaurants in DC
- Houston's Best Sushi: A Mouth-Watering Guide
- Bon Appétit! Exploring the Best French Restaurants in Boston
- A Slice of Heaven: Finding the Best Pizza in Austin
- The Best of the Best: Houston's Top Breakfast Spots
- Searching for the Best Steakhouses in Atlanta
- The Best Breakfast in New Orleans
- The Search is Over: The Best BBQ in San Antonio Revealed
- Houston's Best Pizza: A Sliced-Up Guide to the City's Finest Pies
- Taste the Authentic Flavors of Mexican Cuisine in San Antonio
- Rise and Shine: Discovering the Best Breakfasts in Atlanta
- The Search for the Best Pizza in Las Vegas Ends Here
- A Cut Above the Rest: Finding the Best Sushi in Seattle
- Taco Takeover: The Search for San Diego's Best Tacos
- Japanese Cuisine in NYC: A Taste of Japan in the Big Apple
- Countdown to Tip-Off: When Does Basketball Season Start?
- Discovering The Best Breakfast in Chicago: A Taste Adventure
- The Best Eats in Boca Raton: A Delicious Guide to the City's Finest Restaurants
- Uncorking the Mystery: How Many Ounces in a Bottle of Wine?
- The Art of Driving in Style: Discover the Power of a Good Driving Glove
- Raising a Glass to the Perfectly Balanced Dry Red Wine
- An Easy Beef Shank Osso Bucco Recipe for Delicious Results
- Carne Picada: The Secret Ingredient to a Delicious Meal
- Sip Away on the Sweetness of Crystal Boba
- Tantalizing Taro Milk Tea: The Sweetest Treat You'll Ever Sip
- The Best Birthday Restaurants Boston Has to Offer
- Celebrating Birthdays in Miami: Where to Enjoy a Delicious Meal
- The Best Birthday Restaurants in Atlanta
- The Top Birthday Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Celebrating Birthdays in Style: The Best Birthday Restaurants in Chicago
- Palm Beach: Exploring the Finest Restaurants in Town
“The mountains are calling and I must go.”
— John Muir