Konnichi wa / Great Outdoors
Huevos Rancheros: A Classic Mexican Breakfast
Huevos rancheros is a classic Mexican breakfast dish that combines refried beans, corn tortillas, and a fried egg.
It is usually served with a side of sour cream, black beans, and a medium heat ranchero sauce.
This dish is a favorite among many and is a great way to start off the day.
Watch this video on How to Make Huevos Rancheros!
How to Make Huevos Rancheros
Ingredients for Huevos Rancheros
The ingredients for huevos rancheros are simple and easy to find. You will need:
- Flour tortillas
- Refried beans
- Corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Leftover refried beans
- Ranchero sauce
- Sour cream
- Black beans
- Pico de gallo
- Queso fresco
- Cotija cheese
- Green onions
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Tortilla chips
- Enchilada sauce
Instructions for Making Huevos Rancheros
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until it is shimmering. Add the leftover refried beans and cook until they are hot, about 5 minutes. Add the ranchero sauce and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the corn tortillas and cook until they are lightly browned and crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the flour tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until it is shimmering. Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the pico de gallo, queso fresco, cotija cheese, green onions, jalapeño, cilantro, fire-roasted tomatoes, and enchilada sauce until it forms a thick salsa. Set aside.
- To assemble the huevos rancheros, place one of the flour tortillas on each plate. Top with the refried beans mixture, followed by a fried egg and some of the salsa verde. Serve with sour cream, black beans, tortilla chips, and lime wedges on the side.
Tips for Making Huevos Rancheros Even Better
- For an extra flavor boost, make your own homemade salsa to top the huevos rancheros instead of using store bought salsa or pico de gallo.
- If you have leftover refried beans from another meal, use them in your huevos rancheros for added flavor and texture!
- For an extra crunchy texture, fry the corn tortillas in olive oil instead of baking them in the oven.
- For an extra spicy kick, add some diced jalapeños to the ranchero sauce mixture before simmering it on the stovetop.
- For an even heartier version of huevos rancheros, try making “Rancher’s Eggs” by topping each plate with two fried eggs instead of one!
- To store leftovers for later use, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat leftovers, place them in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until heated through (about 5 minutes).
- For a variation of huevos rancheros called “Huevos Divorciados” (Divorced Eggs), serve two fried eggs side by side instead of one on top of each plate – one topped with red enchilada sauce and one topped with green salsa verde!
- For an extra creamy texture, top each plate with some crumbled cotija cheese or queso fresco after assembling the huevos rancheros!
- For an even more classic version of huevos rancheros, serve them sunny side up instead of fried! Simply cook them in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until desired doneness (about 5 minutes). The runny yolk will add an extra creamy texture to each bite!
Huevos rancheros is a classic Mexican breakfast dish that is sure to please everyone at your table!
With its combination of refried beans, corn tortillas, fried egg, sour cream, black beans, ranchero sauce, pico de gallo, queso fresco, cotija cheese, green onions, jalapeño peppers, cilantro, fire roasted tomatoes, enchilada sauce and more - this dish is sure to be a hit!
Try making this dish next time you're looking for something flavorful and filling for breakfast!
Looking for more on Huevos Rancheros and other topics? Try these:
- How Long Does It Take to Walk a Mile?
- How to Change Your iPhone's Name
- How to Delete Contacts on iPhone
- Best Brunch in NYC: The Ultimate Guide to Bottomless Brunch and Beyond
- The Best Frozen Pizza: Our Picks for the Best Tasting Pizzas
- Smoked Mac and Cheese: The Perfect Side Dish for Any Occasion
- How Long to Bake Chicken Thighs
- How to Make Iced Coffee
- Best Bourbon: A Comprehensive Guide
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally
- Discover the Rich Flavor of Extra Añejo Tequila
- The Best Sipping Tequilas: A Guide to the Most Delicious Tequilas for Sipping
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best Tequilas for Shots
- The Definitive Guide to Blanco Tequila
- Explore the Different Types of Tequila and Find Your Perfect Match
- The Difference Between Mezcal and Tequila: What You Need to Know
- What Is Anejo Tequila? Learn All About This Popular Mexican Spirit
- The Most Expensive Tequilas: A Guide to the Finest Spirits
- Tequila Drinks: The Best Cocktails to Enjoy with a Tequila Lover
- Raise a Glass to Casamigos Tequila: The Perfect Margarita Maker
- United WiFi: Everything You Need to Know About Connecting to the Internet on United Airlines
- DeltaWifi.com: The Ultimate Guide to Delta Air Lines’ In-Flight Wi-Fi Services
- A Luxurious Getaway: The Ritz-Carlton Maldives
- A Closer Look at Delta Premium Select
- Emirates First Class: An Unparalleled Luxury Flight Experience
- How to Have a Happy Retirement: or, How to Make the Most of Your Later Years
- Pull Day Workout: Building Muscle and Strength with Pull Exercises
- Tinga de Pollo: A Delicious Mexican Classic
- How to Restart an Apple Watch
- How Many Miles is a 5K Race?
- Best Breakfast in Las Vegas
- A Delicious Mexican Tradition: Tacos de Canasta
- Tax Attorney: An Overview of What They Do and How to Find the Right One
- Best Tequila for Margaritas: A Comprehensive Guide
- Four Seasons New Orleans: A Luxury Hotel with a Rich Cultural Heritage
- What Is Gross Pay?
- Does Target Take Apple Pay?
- The Ultimate Guide to Mexican Breakfast
- The Subtle Art of Dry White Wine
Bora Bora Resorts: A Comprehensive Guide to the Best Vacation Destinations