Konnichi wa / Great Outdoors
One Second till Impact: A Kamikaze Shot
A kamikaze shot is a popular vodka shot that has some alcohol, usually vodka or tequila, and equal parts orange liqueur, and fresh lime juice. The original recipe, legend has it, was born on an American military base, probably a naval base, after WWII.
The shooter even inspired a kamikaze drink recipe, the kamikaze cocktail, which is equal parts vodka, orange liqueur, and lime juice, and is often cited as a favorite cocktail or beach cocktail. As well as the blue kamikaze shot, which is made with Blue Curacao instead of orange liqueur and is something you might find at a pool party being consumed in a conspicuously quick way among friends.
The word "kamikaze" derives from Japanese language meaning “divine wind” and was first used to refer to Japanese pilots who flew their planes into American ships during World War II.
Watch this video on how to make a blue kamikaze shot!
How to make a kamikaze shot
Original Kamikaze Recipe
- Orange liqueur (triple sec)
- Fresh lime juice (freshly squeezed is best, but bottled will do if it's all you have at hand)
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedge (optional)
- Combine ingredients two parts vodka (2 oz.), one part orange liqueur (1 oz.), and one part lime juice (1 oz.) in a cocktail shaker full of ice.
- Mix vigorously until well shaken.
- Pour liquid into shot glass and serve with lime wedge.
- Please drink responsibly.
Final thoughts on the kamikaze shot
Hope you enjoyed this article on the kamikaze shot!
Looking for more on Kamikaze Shot and other similar content? Try these:
- Hibachi Fried Rice Recipe: Japanese Inspired and Beyond!
- The Beautiful Weeping Cherry Tree
- The Story of Daikon: A Taste of the East
- The Ultimate Guide to Growing Pothos
- Pomodoro Sauce
- The Chinese Money Plant: A Companion in Your Home
- Tasty Fish and Chips
- Nigiri: What Is It and How Does It Differ from Sashimi or Maki?
- Spaghetti Squash: How to Cook
- Peperomia: How to Grow and Care for
- Capers: What Are They and What Do They Taste Like?
- Sashimi: What Is It and How Does It Differ from Sushi?
- Gummy Bear Shot Recipe
- Lemon Drop Shot
- Boba Tea (Bubble Tea): What It Is and How to Make It
- Best Homemade Chili Recipe
- Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Ratatouille: A Recipe for a Tasty Dish
- How to Make Sushi Rice: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Donburi: A Japanese Rice Dish
- Swai: The Best Fish to Abstain From
- 180 C to F: 180 Celsius to Fahrenheit Conversion
- What to Substitute for Cardamom in Recipes
- Pepino: A Simple Fruit
- Philodendron: How to Grow and Care for Your Houseplant
- Best Substitutes for Coriander and Cilantro
- Mirin Substitute: What Is It and What to Use If You Don't Have Any?
- Best Ways to Use Peppadew Peppers
- Easy Semifreddo Recipe
- What is Escarole? How is it used?
- How to Make a Philadelphia Roll
- Simple Haddock Recipes
- Passion Fruit: How to Eat and What Does it Taste Like?
- Garlic Butter Sauce: Creamy & Delicious
- Blackened Chicken Recipe
- Peanut Butter Whiskey Cocktail Recipes
- How to Cut a Watermelon: The Easiest Way Ever
- Umeboshi: What Is It and How to Make?
- How to Make Homemade Vegan Pizza
- Cannelloni with Spinach and Ricotta